here lately.

November 6, 2016






Fifty-five days sit between today and 2017. That's seven Sundays until Christmas Day, eight before a new year is sparked. Everyone seems to plow through this last stretch of the year at a feverish pace, but it's always been my favorite to try to savor... my birthday and Thanksgiving, and all things Christmas are reason enough to slow down and breathe it all in, but there's more to it than that.

It's intentionally considering the conclusion of another year... of what began as another list of weighty goals and proposed plans, dripping with promise, to months later, finally reflecting fondly and finding the grace for yourself to accept what was and what wasn't, all of the good with the bad. To not allow the holidays to drain you, to not feel down about not tackling enough of those resolutions, but to button up the year knowing it was exactly what you needed in one way or another.

That's a deeply accurate description of the stage I'm firmly planted in right now. My personal history of loss around the holidays always casts its own shadow, but with each passing year, the ache is dulled a bit more. Also? I've learned more about myself in the past year than maybe ever (get ready for that annual birthday post), and as much as I am grinning through these last few bustling weeks of 2016, I'm really, genuinely excited to embrace a sparkling, fresh, new year.

Until then...

T-minus two days until the most effed up election ever. TheSkimm has done a pretty fantastic job of informing voters this election cycle--can you believe it? 95,000 voters were registered through this insanely cool start-up.

Oh. In case you are still in need of a November desktop calendar, here's the one I'm using.

I'm ridiculously excited for one of my all-time favorite books to make it to the big screen.

New emojis?! Predicting I'll be using the crossed fingers and avocado a'plenty.

It's old news at this point, but did you watch the World Series? I adopted the Cubs for the week, so I'm thrilled that they pulled it off--side note: I had not one, but two lengthy conversations with guy friends who teeter on psychotic when it comes to sports--on whether adopting a World Series team is considered being a bandwagon fan. I say no--that it's just a little luxury afforded to Americans who crave competition and love sports. They both think otherwise. What say you? Regardless, there was just a lot of goodness to come out of this year's World Series. (there are three links tucked in there, don't miss them!)

True to my long-standing November tradition, I bought my 2017 planner this week... can't get enough of Sugar Paper's sleek and playful paper goods.

Nashville has been ridiculously warm for November--but I'm really itching to make some ratatouille. What's your go-to chilly weather recipe?

I finished Jessica Valenti's Sex Object today. So, so, so grippingly good--a solid memoir, alongside highlights about how society has basically encouraged and embraced the objectification of women, and what that means for us as a culture, and as individuals. My synopsis doesn't do it justice--I definitely recommend it.

Kacey Musgraves gifted us all with a Christmas album, and one of my BFFs surprised me with tickets to see her for my birthday! "Excited" doesn't even begin to cover it. Christmas music, Kacey, the Ryman... all the heart eyes.



What are you most excited about this season?

Post a Comment

leave me some feedback. be honest! and play nice.

Latest Instagrams

© M is for MOXIE.. Design by FCD.