September 16, 2014

  
My ten-year high school reunion was a few weeks ago. ten years. TEN.

just hold me for a minute.

since I was your trusty class secretary, I was tasked with the tag-teaming of planning the reunion... and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that in the weeks leading up to the event, I complained about allocating one of my precious Texas trips for the purpose of the reunion. I have had a ton going on this year--I try to go home every 3-4 months, but with the holidays and my brother's wedding, I've had more to pencil in during 2014 than I've had in the past couple of years. (In the end, the reunion was a lot more fun than I ever thought it would be.)


(we got lots of family time in, ate all of the food I love so much, and managed to get to the inaugural game at mclane stadium too. best weekend ever.)


back story: I grew up in the tiniest, most Norman Rockwell-esque town known to man--my graduating class consisted of a whopping 115 people, many of whom I'd grown up with since kindergarten. most of them are still rocking the same area code. very little about my hometown has evolved since I walked that glorious stage back in june of 2004. with facebook, I've basically known what everyone is up to. people have gotten married, they've become parents. facebook can report a lot, but it can't tell you everything.

the planning process over the past few months really got me thinking: how would my former classmates see me? what would they remember about me? how am I different from my 18-year-old self?

the reunion came and went. we all had a great time (bonus! I heard from more than a couple people that I "look exactly the same" which was sweet, sweet music to my ears)... lots of karaoke with a side of flip cup. and when I got back to nashville, I stumbled across joanna goddard's most recent "personality test."  in it, the person in question is supposed to sum herself up in five words. I loved that Nora Ephron reflected on the fact that her labels were never the same. I was instantly transported back to high school me, and how I've changed... and how I'll evolve even more in the coming years. here's how I'd have labeled my most telling qualities then and now:

high school me:
emphatic republican
spunky
aspiring journalist
small-town girl
sarcastic and cynical

and me, now:
texan
obsessive dog mama
baking enthusiast
baylor grad
hopeful



it's funny, isn't it? how some things change, but really, how some--they just always stay the same.

how have you changed from your high school aged self? how would you label yourself now?

Post a Comment

leave me some feedback. be honest! and play nice.

Latest Instagrams

© M is for MOXIE.. Design by FCD.